The Methodist movement in Southwest Virginia began with the first of Bishop Francis Asbury’s visits in 1788. He notes in his journal in 1800 that he counted 20 houses in Evansham, now Wytheville.
The Wytheville Methodist Church, now St. Paul, was established sometime prior to January 1, 1827. On that date, property was secured at what is now 940 West Monroe Street. A log church was built on that site. Trustees were: Henry Whitman, Adam Saufloy, William Pattison, Casper Yost, and Lewis S. Marshall.
“Wythe” first apperas as an appoointment in 1830. Pastors of the Wythe Circuit include: L.B. Daughrty and High Johnson, 1830; George Easkin and William Harle, 1831; D. Adams and J. Barringer, 1833;T. Sullins and T. Witten, 1834; W.B. Winton, 1838. In 1839 Wythe was changed to Wytheville Circuit, George Eakin and J. Childress; James Atkins and C.D. Smith, 1840; James Atkins and C. Campbell, 1841; J. Chrismond, 1841; W. Hicks and C.W. Charlton, 1843. In 1836, Evansham District appears in the record and continues until 1839 when it is changed to Wytheville Distric. The Wytheville Distric has occupied a prominent place in Holston Conference since that date.
On March 8, 1838, a new building site was secured from Dr. and Mrs. John Hallar at what is now 310 Tazewell Street. On this lot, a brick church was built and used for the next 45 years.
In 1854, Wytheville Station appears, F. M Fanning, pastor, with a membership of 240. In 1858, Wytheville was back on the Wytheville Circuit that reported a membership of 1,309–the largest in Holston Conference. In 1860, Wytheville was again a Station.
One of the best known ministers in Holston, Dr. David Sullins, came to Wytheville in 1865 and served as preacher-in-charge and president of the Masonic Female College. Both the church and the college flourished under his leadership.
The church sanctuary now in use was built on the lot at Church and Franklin Streets in 1885. John Wesley Smith was the preacher-in-charge at the laying of the conerstone for the new brick building for the Wytheville Methodist Episcopal Church, South. A brick seven room parsonage was built on the adjoining lot.
The Holston Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, held its 79th session at St. Paul, Wytheville, October 8-14, 1902. Bishop H.C. Morrison presided and J.A. Burrow served as the secretary. T.J. Eskridge was the host pastor and E.F. Kahle was the presiding Elder of the Wytheville District. J.S. Ward served as secretary of the Local Church Entertainment Committee.
The Sunday School annex, built in 1908 at the rear of the sanctuary, was one of the first in this area. A new Church School Building was built behind the parsonage in 1951. M.C. Weikel was pastor and R.E. Phillippi was the constructor. In 1958, during the pastorate of George O. Harr, Jr., the sanctuary was completely renovated. While Wallace F. Fowler served as pastor, a beautiful new parsonage was built at 535 West Washington Street in 1969, and the old Sunday School Annex was completely renovated in 1970.
On August 25, 1996 the dedication of Wesley Hall took palce. Wesley Hall is named for John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist Church. This was made possible through many generous donations, memorials, and fund raising, enabling the note burning for Wesley Hall to take place at this time. Bishop Clay Lee, in his last act as Bishop of the Holston Conference before retiring, presided over this service.
We have splendid facilites, a staff of nine professional persons, a membership of over 800 dedicated Christian workers, and, most important of all, a faith in God that “we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.”
St. Paul United Methodist Church
330 Church St. Wytheville, VA 24382 US
In Person worship services
Sonlight Contemporary Worship Service at 9:00 am
Traditional Worship at 10:55 am
Virtual Services / 10 am Sundays